Thursday, January 24, 2008

Skagit River Eagles

Larry picked me up after work: 3:00 sharp,



and we drove to Seattle under partly sunny skies.



It was dark by the time we arrived in Seattle, and Larry enjoyed the big city lights.



Larry enjoyed a little time for reading at the Seattle daughters' cozy apartment.



Saturday morning the rain moved in, and we headed NE of Seattle to the Skagit River.



The rain turned to snow, so we stopped at this tiny church to pray for sun.



We slept in the car, spending 14 hours wrapped in the down sleeping bags to avoid freezing to death.



Larry launched the canoe in the snow.



I wore the same life jacket Kyle wore on the Salmon River a couple of summers ago.



We saw bunches of eagles, probably over 100, but I was too afraid of tipping over the canoe to count. They winter on the Skagit River where they eat spawning salmon. Some years there are as many as 800 eagles on a few miles of river.



It's not as cold as it looks. All in all, a beautiful day.

4 comments:

Sisters! said...

we want more pictures of the goddamn eagles! I don't care to look at you.

Sisters! said...

p.s. - I LOVE your purple penis life jacket!! Where did you get that?! Will you buy me one for my birthday?! Purple penises!! ayayayayaya!

J. Thomas said...

My comments to the above comments:

1) I can't give you more pictures of the eagles because I didn't take more, being too afraid of tipping the canoe over to do anything but sit very, very still.

2) The life jacket does NOT have purple penises on it. They're aquatic animals, stupid.

Lachelle said...

I miss the mountians!